We take the time to earn your trust – and serve clients from all walks of life with integrity and commitment.

You can use estate planning to direct your medical care

by | Nov 6, 2017 | Estate Planning

Do you feel strongly one way or the other about certain types of extraneous medical care regarding life or death situations? In such circumstances, Louisiana first responders, doctors, nurses, etc., will administer any and all care available and necessary to your survival. However, if there are certain types of medical treatment you do not wish to undergo, you may not be able to make your wishes known if you are incapacitated; that’s why it’s typically best to put your instructions in writing ahead of time, through careful estate planning.

Many people automatically associate planning an estate with assets, trusts, final wills and other documents specifically related to owned property, money and other inheritable items. However, estate plans also often include advanced medical directives and powers of attorney that designate people of an estate owner’s choosing to make medical (or financial) decisions if the estate owner cannot act independently. Advanced medical directives allow you to specify what type of care you want (or do not want) if you suffer an adverse health condition or injury that prevents you from speaking on your own behalf.

The estate planning process is highly customizable. You can include or exclude any of the optional documents available, depending on your particular needs and ultimate goals. For instance, if you do not have children, you would not need to include a legal guardianship document, whereas parents can use this tool to name one or more people to step in and care for their children if they both die.

You may be a business owner who wishes to incorporate a succession plan in your estate planning process. Lorenzi & Barnatt, L.L.P., in Louisiana, can help you execute a plan that covers all bases to protect your personal assets and business interests, as well as provide for your loved ones. If you already have an existing plan and need help changing or updating it, you can request a meeting with one of our experienced attorneys as well.